About Me

My photo
I like to scribble...both with markers, and, now, with words

Followers

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Much as I enjoy college (well, I am actually pretty ready to be done.  I mean, I have been here for 4 years and am going to be stuck here for another one...I technically am a senior so aren't I allowed to have senioritis, too?  But that is a whole different blog post...) 


Anyway

I do enjoy college, but my biggest problem is living in my crappy university apartment (ah...could I be an interior design major?).  Well, it's not so bad, but there are some necessities I do miss.  Like a kitchen table.  It is super annoying to make a nice meal (or even a not-so-nice meal) and have to eat it at the ugly I-am-trying-to-look-like-wood veneer coffee table, or else at the kitchen peninsula with tedious stools that have no backs, so it completely wrecks any attempt at posture by forcing one to eat hunched over their food.  

It would also be nice to be able to actually DO something to an apartment.  Like paint it whatever color I want, or get furniture that I actually like.  A big problem with this is the transient state I am always in, being that I have not stayed in one place for more than 9 months (although factor in that winter break is for an entire month in the middle of that) in the past 4 years.  Buying too much furniture or things like that just amount to more stuff that needs to be hauled in and out every year during move in/out, and storage, of course, is always a problem during the summer months.  Not to mention that I have little drive to even attempt to decorate a place that I am going to be in for so little time.  Not only is it for a mere 9ish months, but when I am at school I tend to not spend time at my apartment because I am so busy working in the design building or involved with other extra-curricular things.  

My impermanent housing situation is only going to compound itself in the next year, since during the summer I will be on an internship somewhere (Minnesota?  Wisconsin?) and then will be in Rome for the fall semester, end up at home over winter break, before winding up back here in the spring to finish classes and graduate before heading to Madison (I think).  Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to these things.  It would just be nice to have a place to call home that actually felt like a home.  Mom's and dad's house doesn't quite cut it anymore...and anyplace I am when I am not there is still just too brief to make it feel like mine...and I really do miss having a kitchen table.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design